Hello and welcome to The St. Louis Park Community Band!
A community band is a cultural link in the important chain we call life….Music has that ability to lift one out of one’s circumstances and carry one off to another world, if only for a moment or an evening. It offers a universal language, spoken as much by the heart as by the mind. Music is able to criss cross time and generations to create a common ground….The community band is more than an evening of toe tapping and hand clapping. It is the formation and continuation of a life long journey where , if we are fortunate, we find ourselves belonging to a town or village whose main ambition is to live life to the fullest, even in the toughest of times. – Rae Sedgwick, 2010, The Cheiftain
About Our Concerts
The St. Louis Park Community Band performs 8 – 11 concerts throughout the year. Our music includes a wide range of genres such as marches, show tunes, contemporary, classical, and traditional band music. We reach audiences of over 1,000 in the communities where we perform.
- Our Fiscal Agent – St. Louis Park Friends of the Arts serves as our fiscal agent. They are a Minnesota 501(c)3 organization.
- Our Board – The board is the governing body of our organization. It consists of our director, the treasurer and five members of the band.
- Section Leaders – Each instrumental section has a designated leader. This person is responsible for managing the section’s size, monitoring attendance, and ensuring parts are distributed appropriately.
Rehearsals are every Tuesday evening at 7:30 PM in the St. Louis Park High School Band Room. Rehearsals are typically structured to have a break at 8:30 for approximately 20 minutes of social time.
Attendance and Expectations
Band membership is a commitment! Please be honest and specific about other commitments. Communicate with the director and section leader if your schedule changes.
- The director has complete discretion to drop someone from band if attendance and commitment are not what they deem adequate or necessary.
- Rehearsals two weeks before a performance are mandatory.
Treats and Treat Nights
A small treat of cookies is offered each night during our 20 minute social time. Water is available for purchase for $0.25 per bottle. It is located in the refrigerator next to the music cabinet. Place your payment in the cup with the red top.
Approximately every-other month, a “treat night” is scheduled. On this night, we rehearse until 9:00 and then have a 30 minute social time hosted by a group of instrumental sections.
Everyone is Welcome!
The St Louis Park Community Band does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, election of Board members, awarding membership status, and selection of volunteers. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all band and audience members in the promotion and appreciation of music.